Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Turn, Turn, Turn

Well, God bless Google! I was gonna title this posting "The Turtles on My Mind Today". But it turns out, it should have been "The Byrds". Oh well, this will make sense--I promise! (Anybody know what song The Turtles are famous for??)

Go back in time with me, remember the song by The Turtles called "Turn, Turn, Turn"? No? Hmmmm....remember the song by The Byrds called "Turn, Turn, Turn"? Yes? Ok, we're on the right track now!! Sooooo..

The lyrics are quite Biblical: "To everything, turn turn turn; There is a season, turn turn turn; and a time to every purpose under Heaven." Then it goes on to list a time to be born, a time to die, etc. etc. You DO remember the song, right? If you don't, you might wanna check out LifeSkills. Whhhooo hoooo!! I got you on that one!! Haven't mentioned LS in a long time!!

ANYway, I guess this is the point of my posting today, if there truly is a time for every purpose under Heaven, then if there is a time to come, there is a time to go. If there is a time to enter, there is a time to exit.

You read of my really tough night on Sunday night as Jeff and I parted ways. What I couldn't share was that there was so much more going on under the surface that also finally came together on Sunday.

I believe that God is a God of timing. His timing and mine don't always seem to align, but when it does, it's a powerful thing. For weeks, I've been feeling restless, and I haven't known why.

In my session with Teresa last Monday, I was sharing thoughts of leaving Crossroads and going to find another job...of course, I had no idea what that might be! I shared that it was becoming apparent that I had been removed from the "body" as a whole and that my worship was beginning to suffer. I couldn't take classes, couldn't join small group meetings, couldn't just enjoy getting up on a Sunday morning and "just going to church" anymore. She encouraged me to just continue to pray about where the restlessness was coming and to share more when I came back this Monday.

Little did I know, but the Lord was paving a pathway, even while Teresa and I were speaking. When I got home, I checked my email, and there was a message from a dear friend and former employer asking if I knew of anyone who might possibly be interested in my former position at that agency. I called her that night, made a few jokes about coming back, and we agreed to think about it.

Talk about timing!! Over the next few days, the Lord made it abundantly clear that His timing was a lot sooner than I'd thought! I never envisioned leaving this position at Crossroads! I guess I thought I might grow old developing cool ideas for unique events for our children. Maybe I'd be a 75 year old granny wheeling in my chair, rockin' out to Go Fish!!

But, that doesn't appear to be the Lord's plan for me at this time! So, with great sadness and a good bit of heartache, but with also much anticipation, I am officially announcing that I have turned in my letter of resignation to Crossroads. My last day working will be Friday, August 15th. Ahhh, I'm gonna miss my boys and girls....all the parents who've entrusted me to find family-focused events, plan them and make them great fun times....all the AMAZING volunteers: our teachers, our assistants, our worship leaders, our Ambassadors, our Dream Team, my crazy DreamCAST, the teenagers who've helped assist with events....and not to mention the staff of Crossroads. They are a tremendous bunch of people, and I love them dearly, especially the one that got me unhooked from a bench that first day of work....you'll always be my hero!! hehehehe!!

I want to be very clear and make sure you know....I am NOT leaving Crossroads Church!! Far from it! I actually hope to be MORE involved (ohhh, my mom's having a cow now) in the life of the church once I have some down time and rest time. I want to be able to enjoy Bible studies again and maybe join a small group, so if you know of a great one or you're willing to let me join yours, let me know!!

"To everything, turn turn turn. There is a season, turn turn turn. And a time to every purpose under Heaven"...so ends my '60s The Byrds trip down memory lane!!

On to the '00s??? What IS this decade called??? Hmmmm well new song time!!!

"Who says, you can't go home? There's only one place they call me one of their own...a hometown girl born a rolling stone. Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact, there's only one place left, I wanna go....who says you can't go home?"

THOMAS WOLFE, that's who!! But, he's dead now....has been for quite some time, and I'm about to prove him WRONG!! I AM going back home again. Back to The Arc of Cabarrus County!! I am so honored, privileged and excited to say that I'll be able to go back to The Arc to work with that awesome staff, and the incredibly amazing clients that are served there. For those of you who may not know, The Arc is an advocacy agency that works with and for people who have developmental disabilities (think Autism, Downs Syndrome, etc.) I'll still get to work with events like Operation Santa, dances, camp, Awards Night, etc. And boy, do I have the fundraising ideas, so get ready everyone....It's a New Day, I'm Going Home, and to everything, Turn, Turn Turn!!! My purpose under Heaven may be shifting, but I'm promised that God orders my steps, that He has a good plan for my future, and that He will never leave or desert me......who needs more than that??

I'm headin' home......
Kara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, it sounds like you are finding freedom in the move!!!

Love ya always!!!!

Chad

EN said...

Congratulations, Kara! I know this decision had to be hard. I will never forget how welcomed and 'at home' you made us feel on our first visit to Crossroads. I am so happy for you! Hope there aren't too many changes with us FLAKES (haha) but want you to know we're happy you're happy!
Love ya, Kara!