Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Two Weeks & Countin'

Hey Everyone!!

Well, I'm sure by now that you're just like me...exhausted with the constant barrage of political advertisements that are splattered across the television, radio and newspapers. It seems like everywhere we go, we see an Obama this, or a McCain that. Now the campaign yard signs are strewn along the highways and byways. Is it just me, or are you ready for it to be O-V-E-R? That'd be over!!

I'm sure all of you know that my mom is an elected official. What you may not know is that means that I basically run the campaign. I'm also the treasurer of her campaign. So whether it's advertising strategy, fundraising, writing letters, desiging logos, bulk mail, reports, ordering all sorts of things, speaking at various events, coordinating calendars, etc., that's my game. Now there's nobody on the planet better at putting out yard signs than my dad...he's got that covered, and he is GOOD at it!!

But, I have to tell you, all this craziness is about to catch up with me!! I used to love working campaigns from the Presidential races down to local races, I loved them all. Quite frankly, I'm really good at it, too. But something changes when it's your own family member's name on the ballot. It takes on a whole different level of urgency, especially when that family member's career is determined by the outcome of an election!!

I was sitting in a Life Skills class several months ago, no I'm not going to tell you that you should enroll, you should know that by now!! Anyway, we were in class the day that filing for office ended at noon on a Friday. Up until 30 minutes before the deadline, mom had no opposition, and believe me, that would have been fierce!! But, I got a call from mom that someone had filed, and I started to cry. I'll never forget Tammy asking why that upset me so much, and I made this statement: "Because I'm good at politics, and if I lose, I don't know what I'll do." Did you notice anything in there? WHOSE name is on the ballot?? "If I lose".....don't go to the polls on November 4th thinkin' you're going to see "Kara McAbee" by any job title!! Well, the ladies in the group basically called me on the proverbial carpet on ownership of something that's not really mine to take. (I'm sure this goes to Life Commandments, shame, or something....might need a refresher course here, Chad!!)

This whole topic came up once again in session a few weeks ago with Teresa, when she shared some Earth-shattering news with me (and I'm still having a hard time processing this): I am not in control of the outcome of the election!! Excuse me? What?? Really?? I don't control the voting positions of thousands of people in Cabarrus County? HUH???

So, Teresa and I will soon be focusing on my proclivity to take on far too much responsibility for things that are out of my control. I'm wondering about this....you know, I really do believe that it's very important just where I sit when watching a Carolina-Duke basketball game....I do think that I affect that outcome. (I'm teasing ya'll.....I can really only swing about 12 points that way!)

I really wish that knowing that I don't control the outcomes of elections, whether my mom's on the ballot or not, could relieve me of the stress and the pressure I feel, but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't. I've promised each of you to be truthful as I share in the blog, so here it is: I'm stressed out, a bit worried, and not handling all this well at times. Then, there are times I enjoy the heck out of what I'm doing, but I just can't wait for this to be over. God and I are still working out me being ok with the outcome that He chooses, regardless of what it is....we're still having some MAAAjor talks on that one!!!

Isn't it cool the things we continue to learn about ourselves as we open our lives to the work of the Holy Spirit? Soooo cool!!

So, here's the Scripture that I'm plastering on my forehead for the next two weeks: "..there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13:1 (I'm pretty sure that didn't mention Kara in there??)

Do great things, ya'll,
Kara

No comments: