Monday, January 19, 2009

"Yet...."

"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I am alone. I believe in God even when He is silent."

What do YOU believe in? I found this while looking for some quotes about faith. There's a difference in what we believe in and what we know. For instance, I believe the Tar Heels are going to win the National Championship this year. But I know they'll lose a few games along the way. I believe that someday, I'll get married and be a mom. But I know there will be many a lonely night between now and then. I believe that Tim Patrick is a Penn State fan. But I know that it's only because he's a bit deluded and getting older by the day. (I also know that I'm joking...Tim's really only getting older.)


The Bible tells us that for now, we only know in part. We're not complete...yet. But, one day, we will see Him face-t0-face and our completion will be settled. For now, it's enough to believe in my spirit and to know in my heart that He will bring about all that He's promised.


Last night, I watched T.D. Jakes deliver a message called "Yet". His point was that we all walk through rough patches and we stumble along the way, but it's because we're not complete....yet.


Have you ever thought about how encouraging the word "yet" can be? When we look at the problems and struggles in life, we can get really down and depressed:

"I'm not married."
"I'm not out of debt."
"My children aren't saved."
"I'm not wearing that size 4 pair of jeans I bought."
"I'm not feeling any better."


Those are really self-defeating and self-fulfilling prophecies in many ways. However, look what happens when we operate out of our "yet":
"I'm not married....yet."
"I'm not out of debt...yet."
"My children aren't saved...yet."
"I'm not wearing that size 4 pair of jeans....yet....well maybe never, but an 8 wouldn't be bad either!!"
"I'm not feeling any better....yet."


When we live out of the "yet", we are able to tell satan that we're not going to buy into his lies and his schemes. He may have us down and disappointed, but we haven't received our victory...YET!! Can you imagine what he must have thought as Jesus lay in the tomb for three days? Don't you just know that he was revelling in victory, thinking he had finally trumped God and defeated the Son of Man? BUT!! God wasn't finished with mankind....YET!! That wonderful Sunday morning set into motion the path of freedom and healing and ultimate restoration for each of us if we would only receive it.


I may not be married. I may not be a mom. I may not have a career in the calling that God has created me for. I may not be the best friend to my friends, and I may not be the best daughter in the world. I may not look the way I want to. I may not be able to approach a scale without trepidation. I may not be able to run a marathon (have I ever told anyone that's my dream some day?). I may not be a published author. I may not be a lot of things.


Yet.

No comments: