Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What I've Learned for Sure

Hey Friends,

I've heard over the years that Oprah Winfrey has a section in her "O" Magazine called "What I know For Sure". I've really been pondering that thought lately....what are the things I know for sure? Just decided to give it some time to breathe on the "pages" of the blog. So here's what I know for sure....feel free to add your responses and share what you know for sure!

1. I know for sure that substance matters over style.

2. I know for sure that if a person is willing to gossip about someone else in front of you, that person is definitely willing to gossip about you behind your back.

3. I know for sure that people who will tell you one thing to your face, may not be saying the same thing to others.

4. I know that if you can count your true friends on one hand, maybe two, you are richly blessed.

5. I know that some people never grow up out of the locker room from high school.

6. I know for sure that quitting is not the same as leaving.

7. I know for sure that people-pleasing does not work, nor does it engender loyalty and respect.

8. I know for sure that high school girls aren't the only ones who are mean girls...meanness always has a history, perceives a threat and CAN be healed, if the person is willing to admit their faults and allow God to heal them.

9. I know that I know that I know that God is ALWAYS working in each and every situation we encounter, whether we understand what He's doing or not.

10. I know for sure that having gifts and talents that enable us to "DO" something, does not mean that we are "CALLED" to do that thing.

11. I know that situations truly are put into our lives for reasons, seasons, and lifetimes. And when it's a reason or a season, sometimes it hurts to turn the page on that situation and close the chapter.

12. I know that people make assumptions, choose to take offense, live in bitterness, hurt, resentments, etc., only because they also choose not to heal.

13. I know that I know that hurting people hurt people.

14. I know that I've been given the gift of a discerning spirit that I need to be more willing to listen to and follow its lead.

15. I know that people who aren't Christians are immediately turned off by the Church today when they see jealousy, bitterness, cattiness, gossip, anger, and the plethora of sins that people who claim to be Christ-followers display within the walls of the church.

16. I know that I am a Christ-follower who has been jealous, bitter, catty, angry, etc.

17. I know that I am a sinner saved by the Grace of a MARVELOUS loving and generous God.

18. I know that I may fail, but that does not make me a failure. I get back up and keep walking.

19. I know for sure that I lived way too many years deathly concerned about what people thought about me, to the extent that I was a people-pleaser, compromised principles in dating (don't let your minds roam too far on that one...it's not what you think), and accepted the way people treated me...all in a failed attempt to belong, to fill what felt as if it was missing, to make myself feel better about myself.

20. I know the Good News About Kara: I am whole, healed, saved, redeemed, lavishly loved by my Creator, a friend, a daughter, far from perfect, getting stronger every day, and enjoying life.

Those are some of the things I know for sure.

No comments: